Hotel gripped by family feud sold

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

China’s imported cases rise as foreigners banned and flights cut

first_imgChina reported more than 50 imported cases of the coronavirus on Friday, hours after announcing a ban on foreigners entering the country.In recent weeks China’s tally of infections has dwindled dramatically, with only a handful of domestic patients each day. But just as the country appears to bring the outbreak under control, nations around the globe have been battling to control soaring numbers of infections in new hotspots.There were another 55 new infections in China Friday, the National Health Commission said, with one local infection and 54 imported cases from overseas. Topics : Beijing has been racing to control the number of infections being brought into the country — mostly Chinese nationals returning home from overseas, including large numbers of students abroad.On Thursday Beijing announced dramatic measures to curb arrivals into the country, including reducing the number of international flights, limiting the capacity on board to 75 percent, and imposing a ban on foreigners entering China.Non-nationals living in China with valid visas and resident permits will be blocked from returning to the country after midnight on Friday night, the foreign ministry said in a statement. The ministry said it was a “temporary measure that China is compelled to take in light of the outbreak situation.”center_img Diplomats and the crew of international airlines and vessels will still be permitted to enter.Flights in and out of China will also be capped at just one route a week to each country, including for international airlines.The tally of cases brought into China from abroad climbed to 595 on Friday, health officials said.A series of strict measures had already been put in place to try and stem the wave of infections coming in.All Beijing-bound international flights have been diverted to other urban centers, where passengers will first be screened for the virus.Many Chinese cities including Beijing and Shanghai have also imposed a compulsory 14-day quarantine for all arrivals from abroad. There were nearly 1,100 return international passenger flights scheduled to come to China this week.There were another five deaths on Friday, according to the National Health Commission — all in the province of Hubei where the virus first emerged late last year.In total 81,340 people have been infected in China, and the outbreak has claimed 3,292 lives.last_img read more

Saudi Arabia announces haj health measures for domestic pilgrims

first_imgSaudi healthcare workers and security personnel who have recovered from the novel coronavirus will be given the rest of the slots, “in recognition of their role in caring for society at all stages of the pandemic,” the statement said.Touching the Kaaba, the holiest site in Islam, will be banned during the haj this year, and a social distancing space of a meter and a half between each pilgrim during the rituals including mass prayers and while in the Kaaba circling area will be imposed, a statement by the Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) said.Also, access to holy haj sites at Mona, Muzdalifah and Arafat will be limited to those with haj permits starting Sunday July 19 till Aug. 2 2020, and wearing masks at all times will be mandatory for both pilgrims and organizers. Topics : Saudi Arabia announced health protocols to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus in the 2020 haj season, banning gatherings and meetings between pilgrims, the state news agency said on Monday.Saudi Arabia decided in June to limit the number of domestic pilgrims attending the haj to around 1,000 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, after barring Muslims abroad from the rite for the first year in modern times.Priority will be given to non-Saudi pilgrims who will be allotted 70% of available slots, the ministry that oversees pilgrimages said in a statement. Those selected must test negative for the virus, must be first-time pilgrims between 20 and 50 years old and have no chronic medical conditions.last_img read more

UK looks to bring in new inflation measure

first_imgThe UK’s Office for National Statistics (ONS) intends to use a new measure of inflation in a move that could spark fresh debate about index-linked benefits.The measure, CPIH, was first introduced by the ONS in 2010 and designed to reflect housing costs better than the existing consumer prices index (CPI).John Pullinger, the national statistician, announced yesterday that CPIH would be the ONS’s preferred inflation measure effective from March next year.Consultancy firm LCP said the move could open the door for the government to adopt CPIH for social security and pension benefits in the Autumn Statement, to be delivered on 23 November. The older CPI measure of inflation forms part of the state pension’s ‘triple lock’, which ministers want reviewed.Public sector pension benefits are linked to inflation, so any change in government policy could be applied to these pensions.However, the effect on private sector funds is less clear.Lynda Whitney, partner at Aon Hewitt, said the implications would depend on individual scheme rules, and trustees would have to be sure to communicate clearly any changes to members’ benefits.The pension fund for children’s charity Barnardo’s last week lost an appeal to switch its inflation measure from the retail prices index (RPI) to CPI.RPI is typically higher than CPI, so a switch to the latter would reduce future liabilities.UK government index-linked bonds use RPI, but last year saw the issue of a handful of CPI-linked bonds.No bonds have yet been issued using CPIH.Richard Gibson, an associate at Barnett Waddingham, said: “If the government were to issue CPIH-linked debt, that would provide welcome relief to pension funds that are seeking assets that more closely match their liabilities and likely reduce buyout prices for most schemes. We hope they will put this question out to consultation in due course.”However, Aon Hewitt’s Whitney cast doubt on the government’s appetite for such issuance.“CPI has been around for quite some time, but there has been extreme reluctance to issue CPI-linked debt,” she said.“Also, politically, the fact RPI is higher than CPI means the government doesn’t want to change it.”In addition, while Whitney agreed pension funds would be likely to buy into longer-dated CPIH bonds, she questioned whether there would be sufficient demand for the short end of the yield curve.last_img read more

‘Ripley County Community Foundation Week’ declared

first_imgBatesville, In. — Ripley County commissioners have declared this week (November 6 -10) as “Ripley County Community Foundation Week.” Executive director of the foundation Amy Streator has expressed thanks to the town of Sunman, the city of Batesville and Ripley County for the designation.Batesville mayor Mike Bettice will also deliver a proclamation this week.Twenty years ago a group of residents pooled $19,000 in order to help communities and causes in Ripley County and today the funds are valued at $11.7 million.As part of the celebration this Friday, November 10 has been declared “A Day of Giving.” Any donation to an endowed fund on November 10 up to $5,000 will receive a 50 percent match. Residents that make at least a $20 donation to an operating fund will entered into a drawing to help determine what non-profit gets the next $2,000 anniversary grant.The foundation encourages and administers philanthropy to programs aimed at improving the quality of life in Ripley County. For more information go online here or call 812-933-1098.last_img read more

Newcastle job: Pochettino demands signing of ex-Premier League star

first_imgMauricio Pochettino reportedly wants assurances over transfer before he takes the Newcastle United job. Newcastle are currently waiting for confirmation of a takeover from a group of investors including the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund. Read Also: Boxing: Donald Trump reacts to Mike Tyson’s training clip Pochettino and Coutinho worked together briefly when the Brazilian spent time on loan at Espanyol during the second half of the 2011/12 season. It is also said that Pochettino would earn 22 million euros a year at St James’ Park. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Coutinho is currently on loan from Barcelona at Bayern Munich , who have the option to buy him permanently at the end of the season.center_img The deal, which is being scrutinized by the authorities, would make the Magpies incredibly rich and Pochettino has already been linked with the coach’s job. According to the Sun, the former Tottenham boss has asked for the signing of Philippe Coutinho and other top players in order to take the job.Advertisement Promoted Content6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually TrueWhy Go Veg? 7 Reasons To Do ThisA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do17 Rare Churches Underground That Still ExistA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This Day6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better7 Actors Who Had Ridiculous Reasons For Quitting A Rolelast_img read more

Messi’s clause to leave Barca for free expires

first_imgRelatedPosts Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi Messi wins court case against cycling company over logo A clause in Lionel Messi’s contract that would have allowed him to leave Barcelona for free this summer has reportedly expired.Barca’s board have previously admitted that the Argentina international could potentially have left the club for nothing at the end of the season if his exit clause was triggered. However, Sky Sports News claimed that any interested parties had until May 30 to take up that offer, though Barca have always maintained they did not fear him leaving anyway.Messi has spent his entire senior career at Camp Nou and has another year to run on the four-year deal that he signed in 2017.Speaking last week, the 32-year-old revealed that he came close to leaving Barcelona four years ago.Tags: Camp NouFC BarcelonaLionel MessiSky Sports Newslast_img read more

Rooney to miss West Brom game

first_imgWayne Rooney will miss Manchester United’s final game of the season at West Brom. Sir Alex Ferguson has now passed that matter on to new manager David Moyes to deal with. However, after being left out of Ferguson’s final home game before retirement last week, Press Association Sport understands Rooney will also miss the Scot’s final one ever as a manager at The Hawthorns on Sunday afternoon. Rooney has been given permission to sit out the trip as wife Coleen is due to give birth to the couple’s second child. The 27-year-old’s Old Trafford future is in doubt after he asked for a transfer recently. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Tony Pulis challenges Saido Berahino to earn England recall

first_imgBoss Tony Pulis has challenged Saido Berahino to earn an England recall after his West Brom redemption. The striker scored his first goal of the season to clinch a 1-0 win at Aston Villa on Saturday to complete his Baggies recovery. He returned to the starting line-up for the first time since threatening to strike after Albion rejected two deadline day bids from Tottenham. They host rivals Birmingham in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday following two defeats to the Baggies and Leicester. Villa were jeered off after a poor display where Carles Gil and Rudy Gestede missed their best chances. But boss Tim Sherwood is eager for the chance to face Blues and end their derby woes following Saturday’s loss. He said: “I relish it, its an opportunity to send our fans home happy, they haven’t felt that for a period of time now. “I think anyone who knows me knows I’m at my strongest when I’m under pressure. Some go under and some come out fighting, I think you know the answer to which one I’ll be. “It’s not all doom and gloom, we are making progress and we know it would take time. “I scrutinise myself more than I do the players. You are a manager to make decisions and everyone can do this job in hindsight.” Berahino had been left out of three squads by Pulis during the transfer saga before making a second-half substitute appearance in last week’s 0-0 draw with Southampton. The England Under-21 international, who scored 20 goals last term, earned a call-up to Roy Hodgson’s squad last year but is yet to make a senior appearance and Pulis believes he can bag a Three Lions return ahead of Euro 2016. He said: “I don’t see any reason why not. He’s got that special talent for scoring goals and he’s shown it again today, with his reaction. It’s a clever goal, and he meant it. “I think he’s got to get back in our team first and do well before we start pushing him. “We’ve got to support him and make sure we get him back to where he was at the end of last season when he was scoring goals.” But Pulis admitted another transfer battle could happen again in January after the Baggies rejected four bids from Tottenham and turned down a transfer request from Berahino over the summer. He said: “Let’s see how we go in the next 15 games. I don’t know what’s going to happen in January. What I do know is we’ve got him concentrating and level-headed again having lost him for six weeks.” Villa are still searching for their first home Barclays Premier League victory of the season and are winless in the league since the opening day. Press Associationlast_img read more

Edo Gov to Refurbish Ogbemudia Stadium Facilities

first_imgAdibe Emenyonu in Benin CityEdo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has indicated the readiness of his administration to refurbish facilities damaged by the last rainstorm at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium. He disclosed this during an inspection tour of the damaged facilities at the stadium in Benin City, the Edo State capital, where he also note revealed that some of such facilities would be overhauled and upgraded.The governor, who was taken round the damaged facilities by the Assistant Director of sports Facilities, Victor Edokpayi, said the inspection became necessary following the damage to some facilities at the stadium to strategise on how the facilities could be fixed.“We are here to inspect the damage done to some facilities. We can see some of the rooftops blown off by the rainstorm. The rooftop of the swimming pool and the gymnasium were totally blown off. The facilities here need total overhauling,” he noted.Governor Obaseki, accompanied by his deputy, Hon. Phillip Shaibu and the SSG, Osarodion Ogie, said his administration would refurbish the facilities in the stadium particularly the swimming pool section and some other damaged sections such as the judo hall and indoor sports complex that were damaged by the rainstorm.He said the facilities in the stadium needed to be improved upon to get more of the younger ones interested and involved in sporting activities.On the duration of the refurbishment, the governor disclosed that a consultant would be invited immediately to carry out an assessment and evaluation of the damage to the facilities, after which the project would take off.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more