Central Bank Executive Governor Dr. Joseph Mills Jones has received commendation for his progressive and dynamic stewardship of the monetary arm of government.The commendation was made last week by experienced Liberian banker John B. S. Davies, II. Mr. Davies, who is president of the Liberian Bank for Development and Investment (LBDI), said the history of the banking industry is being rewritten by Governor Jones whose strong leadership, he observed, has brought significant transformation to the industry in particular and the economy in general.The LBDI boss spoke recently at the Liberia Bankers Association (LBA) farewell dinner in honor of former Ecobank Liberia Limited Managing Director Mr. Kola Adeleke and Mr. Milton Weeks, head of Secretariat of the LBA.Mr. Adeleke was appointed Managing Director of Ecobank Liberia in 2010 during which time he instituted strong internal control measures and invested in human resource development. He ended his term in Liberia as MD of Ecobank last Friday.Mr. Weeks, for his part, served the LBA as head of Secretariat for seven years. The veteran Liberian banker was recently appointed as a member of the Board of Governors of the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) by President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.In his welcome remarks opening the honoring ceremony held in Sinkor, Mr. Davies noted that Liberia is no more a pariah state because the country’s monetary system is now in place. He also noted that the country’s payment system is being put in place despite the challenges posed by the outbreak of the Ebola virus disease (EVD).The LBDI boss was particularly happy that bank CEOs no more look at each other with suspicion noting that LBA has also transcended to a more professional and ethical level where CEOs won’t do business with a borrower that demonstrates unethical conduct.“We have come to realize that the more we share information the better we make sound decisions and protect our assets as banks,” said the LBDI president.In brief remarks, CBL Executive Governor Jones thanked Mr. Davies for the commendation. He said the farewell dinner for the two honorees was a celebration of excellence. According to the CBL boss, LBA has performed so well that its managing directors and CEOs must be appreciated and celebrated.“Yes, there are transformations of the banking sector, but lots more need to be done. We can’t rest on our laurels because there are challenges remaining in our way,” said Governor Jones.The Dr. Jones asserted that CBL has constructed a financial institution in all 15 counties of Liberia to enhance financial access to a majority of Liberians. “We intend to build these financial institutions in all of our rural communities,” said Dr. Jones.Touching on the insurance sector, the CBL Executive Governor declared that the Bank will ensure a total reform of the sector and develop a capital market system in the country to enhance access to finance.Also speaking at the ceremony, one of the honorees Mr. Milton Weeks, said it is always difficult to disengage, especially from an institution such as the Secretariat of LBA, “but there are certain points in time to disengage.”“Our going on the CBL Board gives us the chance to proffer some of the challenges facing the banking industry,” said Mr. Weeks. “There are lots of challenges ahead and the managing directors are doing a tremendous job.”For his part, former Ecobank MD Adeleke said he thought that he was coming to Liberia in 2010 to rest after serving in a very difficult terrain in Nigeria. “But with the help of Governor Jones and my LBA colleagues I am leaving the banking industry sound,” he said. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A gracious monarch and a charismatic dictator took the top prizes Sunday at the British Academy Film Awards. Dame Helen Mirren was crowned best actress for playing Queen Elizabeth II in “The Queen,” which also was named the year’s best picture. Forest Whitaker took the best actor prize for his riveting turn as Idi Amin in “The Last King of Scotland,” the story of a young Scottish doctor’s entanglement with the Ugandan dictator. “Last King” was also named the best British film and took the prize for best adapted screenplay. Peter Morgan, who wrote “The Queen” and co-wrote “The Last King of Scotland,” joked that the double triumph might spawn a sequel. “Idi Amin wrote love letters to the queen. He offered himself as her lover,” Morgan said. “Forest, if you’re willing, I think there may be some takers.” Whitaker beat Daniel Craig (“Casino Royale”), Leonardo DiCaprio (“The Departed”), Richard Griffiths (“The History Boys”) and Peter O’Toole (“Venus”) for the top prize for an actor. Director Kevin Macdonald, however, said he initially doubted Whitaker was right for the role. “He seemed such a sweet, gentle, lovable sort of person,” Macdonald said. “He proved he did have those depths of anger and paranoia and terror in him.” Mirren, 61, beat out a strong field that included Dame Judi Dench (“Notes on a Scandal”), Penelope Cruz (“Volver”), Kate Winslet (“Little Children”) and Meryl Streep (“The Devil Wears Prada”). Mirren thanked her co-stars, including the corgis. – Associated Press 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Sead Kolasinac in action for Schalke Schalke star Sead Kolasinac is expected to decide between offers from AC Milan, Arsenal and Manchester City next week.The defender has been touted for a move to the Premier League, a switch that would net the 23-year-old an astonishing £120,000 per week.Kolasinac is out of contract in the summer and Schalke are resigned to losing one of their key players, who is now weighing up his future.According to Bild, Kolasinac is yet to make a final decision on where he will play his football next term but will decide imminently.The Bosnia international is expected to choose between Arsenal and Manchester City, but AC Milan also remain in the mix.This season Schalke have collected just two points in the nine league matches Kolasinac has missed, underlining his importance to coach Markus Weinzierl.The left-back came through the youth ranks at Schalke and represented Germany at Under-18, Under-19 and Under-20 level, before opting to play his senior international football for Bosnia.
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho targeted Axel Witsel this summer but Chelsea star N’Golo Kante was the Portuguese’s No.1 target, according to Witsel’s agent Paul Stefani.The Red Devils have not been hugely active in the transfer market this summer so far which has led to Mourinho complaining about the club’s lack of signings. 1 Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January However, these claims made by Stefani suggest it has not come from a lack of trying.In an interview with Het Laatse Nieuws, Stefani said: “I know from a very good source that Mourinho said he wanted Witsel, but not in the first place.“N’Golo Kante topped his list.”Although a Kante move to Old Trafford seems incredibly unlikely, it would not be the first time a player has swapped west London for Manchester in recent times with the Blues selling Nemanja Matic to United last summer.And despite expressing an interest in Witsel, the Belgian chose to sign a four-year contract with Borussia Dortmund earlier this week. The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Latest Transfer News moving on IN DEMAND REVEALED targets RANKED Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti LATEST Stefani added: “Eventually Axel said: ‘Do me a favour and finish it as quickly as possible because I really want to go to Dortmund’.” United were reportedly interested in World Cup winner Kante Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father LIVING THE DREAM Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer targets Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland
William Sweeney leaves the court. Pic copyright Donegal DailyA gang of 40 people went on an orgy of destruction and attacked one of Ireland’s most historic monuments.The drunken revellers pulled stones from An Grianan Fort in Burt, defecated in a holy well and then abused visiting tourists. Gardai found women’s underwear, human excrement and beer cans when they raided the site.Maymond McCormick leaves the court today. Pics copyright Donegal DailyThe incident happened over the weekend when a group of people landed at the site for a party.Two of the men who took part in the incident appeared at Letterkenny District Court today.William Sweeney, 19 and Raymond McCormick, 21, appeared in court charged with causing criminal damage to the fort on July 6th.Garda Eddie Doherty described a scene of carnage which met him when he went to investigate complaints of the party.He also revealed how tourists from America and China who were visiting the site were left stunned by the scene.“It was just a scene of carnage. The tourists who were visiting the area were traumatised by what they saw,” said Garda Doherty.Judge Paul Kelly said he was shocked by the “ignorant, loutish and thuggish’ behaviour.“This monument is one of the best preserved of its kind and I visited it myself some months ago.“I was particularly impressed by how well it has ben maintained and how it has stood the test of time.“It has stood the test of time by many invading armies over the years and then this group of thugs come along and invade it and start to dismantle it from the inside,” he said.Solicitor for McCormick of 8 Ballbane Pass, Creggan, Derry and Sweeney, 4 Oaklands Park, Creggan, Derry, said both men were very embarrassed by what had happened.Patsy Gallagher said they were only charged with criminal damage and were not involved in any defecating incident.They had pleaded guilty to throwing historic stones and empty cans of beer.He said both men had been in custody since and their experience within four walls at a Garda station had been a sobering experience on them.The court was told the Office of Public Works are currently examining the extent of the damage to the siteJudge Kelly remanded both men in custody until this Thursday at Buncrana Court and said he wanted to hear from the OPW how much monetary damage had been done to the area.TWO MEN APPEAR IN COURT AFTER DISGUSTING ATTACK AT AN GRIANAN FORT was last modified: July 8th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:An Grianan FortattackLetterkenny District CourtRaymond McCormickWilliam Sweeney
Sophomore Reed Timmer (New Berlin, Wis.) of the Drake University men’s basketball team has been selected Missouri Valley Conference Scholar-Athlete of the Week, MVC Commissioner Doug Elgin announced Tuesday, Dec. 14. Timmer was honored for his performance during the period of Dec. 7- Dec. 13. Timmer led Drake in scoring in both games on the week with a career-high 30 points against DePaul and 17 points at Nevada to average 23.5 points per game. He was 14-of-21 (.667) from the field and 5-of-7 (.714) from the three-point arc. In his 30-point showing against DePaul, he was 7-of-11 from the field, 3-of-4 from the arc and 13-of-17 at the line. His 30 points are tied for the fourth most in the Valley this season and are the most DePaul has surrendered this season. At Nevada, he was 7-of-10 from the field with 13 of his points coming in the second half. Timmer has now scored 20 or more points four times this season, the fourth most in the Valley. Timmer owns a 3.6 grade point average as a pharmacy major. This is the second consecutive MVC Scholar-Athlete of the Week accolade for Timmer, and the 10th overall this season for Drake University. Print Friendly Version
The family of dementia patient Paul Harte have received a positive outcome to their appeal to allow him to be transferred closer to home. Management at Lifford Community Hospital have today agreed to open a bed for the 53-year-old Lifford man, who has just weeks left to live.Paul will be transferred to Lifford tomorrow, which will bring some solace to his family after they were forced to highlight their issue on social media. Paul, who lives with Down Syndrome, has been receiving palliative care in his final stages of dementia at Letterkenny University Hospital for the past three weeks.His family were devastated when management at Lifford Community Hospital told them that Paul could not be admitted because he is not aged 65 or more and suffers from an intellectual disability.In response, the Harte family started a social media campaign to ask why their beloved brother and son could not be cared for at Lifford Community Hospital, which has eight empty beds.Following a meeting of Lifford Community Hospital management and the HSE this afternoon, the Harte’s have received word that permission was granted for Paul to be transferred home for his final days. In a Facebook update, Paul’s sister Donna said: “People power all the way, thanks for all your comments, we as a family appreciate it very much.”Relief for family as Paul Harte’s hospital transfer is confirmed was last modified: July 17th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Good news for Stephen Curry. He’s going to get to see Cancun in April.We know this because Bobby Marks, ESPN’s NBA front office insider and a 20-year front office employee in the Association, dropped a scorched-earth prediction on the Warriors on Tuesday morning.Appearing on “Get Up,” Marks pointed to a plasma screen bearing the Warriors’ projected starting lineup for opening night of the 2019-20 season: D’Angelo Russell, Draymond Green, Jacob Evans (a place-holder for Klay Thompson), Kevon …
Theoretically, the Trump administration’s immigration policy is based on two core principles: upholding the rule of law and promoting a “merit-based” system that’s good for the economy.So why has the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) just proposed to scrap the International Entrepreneur Rule, a late-Obama program intended to lure the world’s most promising entrepreneurs to create companies and jobs in America rather than elsewhere?The department doesn’t dispute the lawfulness of the program, whose economic benefit is obvious. (Full disclosure: One of us worked for a Republican president and supports this initiative, and the other worked in the Obama White House to implement it.) It would create as many as 300,000 jobs for U.S. workers, it’s been requested by economic development promoters throughout the heartland, and it’s so “merit-based” that only an estimated 0.00004 percent of the world’s population likely would be eligible.Oddly, DHS begins its proposal by saying that it “stands by its previous findings that foreign entrepreneurs make substantial and positive contributions to innovation, economic growth, and job creation in the United States” and that “[f]acilitating investment and innovation in the United States is of great importance to our country’s ability to lead and remain competitive in the global marketplace.”Nevertheless, DHS concludes that the International Entrepreneur Rule must die.First, DHS argues that since the program isn’t a true visa (which only Congress could create), it doesn’t create sufficient certainty for the entrepreneurs and investors who would rely on it. But presumably those entrepreneurs and investors would be the best judges of that, and they have clamored for this program to be enacted.Next, DHS argues that while Congress should create a bona fide “startup visa,” in the meantime entrepreneurs should use other longstanding visa pathways to stay in the United States. Of course, the inaction of Congress and the inadequacy of existing visas are precisely why the International Entrepreneur Rule was developed. And if the Trump administration were sincere in its desire to guide entrepreneurs through existing visa options, perhaps it wouldn’t have taken down just such a website early last year.The final argument is the one that might show us the Trump administration’s real objective: Even though applicant fees would fund the International Entrepreneur Rule, DHS argues it “will not be able to offset the opportunity costs associated with diverting limited agency resources that are needed to meet the current Administration’s priorities.” These priorities include a number of euphemisms for clamping down on legal immigration (“reviewing other existing immigration programs, developing new proposed regulatory changes, and carrying out initiatives to better deter and detect fraud and abuse”).Let’s review: The administration didn’t claim that the International Entrepreneur Rule is unlawful, or that it will destroy American jobs. The only motivations that ring true are an unwillingness to expend any effort to increase immigration, however modestly, and a desire to stay focused on the administration’s major goal of reducing immigration.In pursuit of this latter goal, the Trump administration is not waiting for an act of Congress. (A White House-backed proposal to reduce legal immigration garnered only 39 votes in the Senate earlier this year.) Killing the International Entrepreneur Rule is one relatively small item on an aggressive agenda to deter legal immigrants across the board. Federal agencies have already moved to , ramp up denials of skilled worker visas, and all but eliminate refugee admissions.Next up? Preventing gainful employment for up to 100,000 spouses of H-1B workers (predominantly educated Indian women), curtailing post-graduate training for foreign students with science and engineering degrees, and curbing Chinese student visas. Plus a sweeping new policy to deny green cards to immigrants who used nearly any government benefit over the past several years — or are deemed likely to do so in the future. Departing from a century of precedent, this one regulation could impede millions of immigrants from providing for their U.S. citizen children, block U.S. citizens from sponsoring their parents for green cards and even result in the deportation of lawful permanent residents who have committed no crimes.For generations, presidents of both parties have welcomed legal immigrants to America’s shores, understanding that our nation’s vitality, growth and heritage depend on newcomers with drive, skills and a willingness to sacrifice for their family’s future. The administration’s efforts to unravel those welcoming policies have only just begun.– Rand is the president of Boundless Immigration and the former assistant director for entrepreneurship at the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy. Anderson is executive director of the National Foundation for American Policy.(c) 2018, Bloomberg Opinion Related ItemsStartupsUnited States