Eight members of a criminal organization, who the US State Department accuse of lottery scamming activities, have been ordered extradited from their homeland of Jamaica.Kingston and St Andrew Parish Judge, Vaughn Smith, made the ruling in court on Wednesday.Prosecutors from the US said the Jamaicans were members of a network which was headed by Lavrick Willocks, who was previously extradited to the US.The group reportedly fleeced millions of dollars from US citizens in North Dakota via the lottery scam.Lavrick WillocksThe prosecutors submitted evidence of the accused persons collecting money at a Western Union outlet and tape recordings of them making calls to elderly Americans, who were the primary targets of the scam.The US prosecutors also revealed that a member of the network, who is co-operating with them, will be a key witness in the case against the suspected scammers.Defense attorneys have argued that their clients should be released as the offences of wire and mail fraud are not on the law books in Jamaica.Under the Extradition Treaty, the offence for which the accused are wanted in the US should be similar to crimes in Jamaica.However, the judge said Section 3 and 35 of the Larceny Act capture the offences of mail and wire fraud.Willocks and his cronies were collared last year during an operation by the Major Organised Crime and Anti-Corruption Agency (MOCA) and the Counter-Terrorism and Organised Crime Branch (C-TOC).Willocks was extradited last month after he agreed not to challenge an extradition request.
On Monday, Trinidad and Tobago national Robert Bermudez assumed duties as the sixth Chancellor of the University of the West Indies (UWI).Bermudez was appointed at the University Council’s annual business meeting on April 27 to succeed Sir George Alleyne.Chancellor Bermudez, has been an entrepreneur for over 40 years. According to UWI release “He led the growth of his family-owned firm, to a regional business throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. He enjoyed a distinguished career in business, serving as either Chairman or Board Director for several corporate bodies in Trinidad and Tobago and the Caribbean.”The vision of the new chancellor for the regional university “outlines a keen sense of the mission, effectiveness, relevance and interdependence of academia and the economy. His professional experience as a Caribbean-wide entrepreneur with business acumen garnered from across the region suggests that he will continue the outstanding tradition of Chancellorship at the University.His predecessors include Her Royal Highness Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone (1948-1971); Sir Hugh Wooding (1971-1974); Sir Allen Montgomery Lewis (1975-1989); Sir Shridath Ramphal (1989-2003); and Sir George Alleyne (2003-2017).The institution also thanked Sir George Alleyne for his tenure of 23 years working at the regional University, including 14 years of service as Chancellor.The official installation ceremony for Chancellor Bermudez will be in September, at the university’s St. Augustine Campus.“Our new Chancellor has demonstrated through his many roles a man conscious of his Caribbean identity and responsibility. He’s willing to provide leadership to our people at home and beyond, in the entrepreneurial arena and elsewhere. He’s amply energized for the role of Chancellor of our beloved UWI. He comes to office on the eve of our 70th anniversary during which the university community will be reflecting upon 70 years of service and leadership. It will be an honor for us to have him presiding over these activities,” said Vice-Chancellor, Professor Sir Hilary Beckles,
Having placed third in his final individual race, Usain Bolt turns his attention to the 4X100 meters relay on August 12 in London, as the World Championships winds down. The relay takes place one week after he was beaten in the 100 meters by Americans Justin Gatlin and Christian Coleman. Jamaica are defending champions in the event, with a world record of 36.84 seconds set at the 2012 Olympics in London. In an interview with Reuters on August 7, Bolt said he had not practiced with team-mates ahead of the final race of his illustrious career. “We haven’t done any baton changes as yet with the guys, but Ifeel we are ready. I have talked to Julian Forte a little bit. I haven’treally talked to the youngsters so we’ll see when it comes to thebaton changes, but I’m always excited to run relays and we seewhat the guys are prepared and ready to do,” he said. Bolt, Nesta Carter and Michael Frater were the other members ofthat all-star London quartet which beat Trinidad and Tobago andFrance into second and third respectively. Forte was a semi-finalist in the 100 meters. Yohan Blake, whomade that final and was part of the record-setting quartet fiveyears ago, is expected to be in the team again. Didn’t practice with teammates
Ding Dong performing at Rebel Salute 2018 (Credit: Paul Perry)Triple Olympian Usain Bolt has named his current favorite deejay for 2018. In an interview recently with CNET, Bolt, who is a longtime fan of Vybz Kartel, says Ding Dong is now his current favorite deejay because he likes to dance and have fun. Ding Dong, famous for the song ‘Dancehall Madness’ and “Fling Yuh Shoulda,” welcomed the endorsement, noting that it is a big deal for him because it exposes him to a new audience who never know about his music. “This is a good look, because me know him deep wid Vybz Kartel music and thing, because him always a big up Vybz Kartel, (so) for him to acknowledge me like dat and den him say artiste, him never say dancer, dat fi show yuh say him consider me pan da level deh,” the deejay said. Recently, Bolt posted a video on Instagram of him and professional footballer Leon Bailey, dancing to one of Ding Dong songs.
In a surprising decision last week, a Federal Court in California ruled against Trump’s cancellation of DACA, temporarily blocking the Administration from ending the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals ) program. The judge ordered the Trump administration to immediately reinstate DACA and to allow Dreamers who had DACA status prior to the date Trump cancelled the program on September 5, 2017, to continue to renew their DACA status and to accept new DACA applications, until lower courts make final decisions in the pending lawsuits. As a result, according to the order, Dreamers should be able to immediately apply for DACA renewals. The USCIS has updated its DACA website page and issued specific instructions on new DACA applications and renewal filings. Dreamers are advised that the Trump administration can appeal the ruling and if that happens there is a possibility that the program could be halted again. In light of this, it is very important that Dreamers file DACA applications and renewals as soon as possible! New Immigration deal could drastically reduce family immigrationThe bipartisan DACA deal being negotiated between Democrats and Republican is said to reduce overall U.S. immigration, including reductions to family immigration. Without details, some experts believe the final deal could eliminate entire family immigration categories like those for siblings (F4) and perhaps even reduce the ability of U.S. Citizens to sponsor married children and their families (F3). President Trump rejected the deal last week because he decided that it did not go far enough in reducing family “Chain Migration”. As a result, any new deal presented to the White house may include further reductions in family immigration, which could drastically alter our present system. To keep one step ahead of likely changes which could be signed into law in the coming weeks or months, U.S. Citizens and Residents who plan to sponsor family members should act quickly to file applications before the final Bill is signed into law. Those with filed applications will remain eligible to immigrate, even when the new law changes and restricts immigration going forward.Trump administration could restrict H-1B Visa extensionsUnder current policies, H-1B workers are allotted six (6) years total to be in the U.S.. However, once they are sponsored by an employer for a Green Card and are waiting in a line in order to immigrate, the law allows them to continue to extend their H-1B visa. This policy came about as part of the American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act (AC21) passed by Congress years ago and has allowed employers to extend worker’s H-1B visa in three-year increments once their Immigrant Visa is approved. However, the Trump administration is considering an Executive Order or Memorandum which would limit the ability of employers to extend an H-1B worker’s visa beyond the six-year limit in one-year increments, rather than three. Experts are certain that any such attempt by the Administration would be overturned in Federal Court, however that has not stopped the Whitehouse before.
West Indies crushed Bangladesh by an innings and 219 runs in just seven sessions, to record their fifth-largest Test victory ever and grab an all-important 1-0 lead in the two-match series here Friday.The hosts needed just over 1-3/4 hours on the third day at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground to claim the remaining four wickets and send Bangladesh tumbling to 144 all out in their second innings.Bangladesh Wicketkeeper Nurul Hasan resisted with a counter-attacking 64 but the writing was always on the wall for the Tigers after they resumed the morning on 62 for six – still requiring an improbable 301 runs to make the Windies bat again.Shannon Gabriel added another wicket to his tally to finish with five for 77 while captain and fellow fast bowler Jason Holder picked up three for 30 and Miguel Cummins, two for 16.West Indies wasted little time in getting the breakthrough when Holder removed Mahmudullah (15) with his first legal ball but second delivery of the day, squaring up the batsman and having him caught at third slip by Roston Chase.Nurul counter-attacked, adding 25 for the eighth wicket with Kamrul Islam (7) and a further 55 for the ninth wicket with Rubel Hossain (16), to temporarily halt the Windies charge.All told, the 24-year-old right-hander struck six fours and two sixes in a hasty 74-ball innings, recording the fastest half-century by a Bangladeshi on foreign soil.Resuming on seven, he took a couple of boundaries off the second over from Gabriel before ripping into the same bowler a few overs later, with fours on either side of the wicket before clearing the ropes at long off in an over which leaked 17 runs.Nurul raised his landmark off 36 deliveries in the next over from Holder, with a single to fine leg.Along the way, he lost Kamrul, bowled middle stump by Gabriel before himself perishing at the hands of Cummins, caught and bowled trying to hit a short delivery back overhead.With his dismissal went Bangladesh’s resistance and Cummins ended the innings two overs later when he rattled Rubel’s stumps.Seamer Kemar Roach, who did not bowl in the second innings, was adjudged Man-of-the-Match for his five wickets for eight runs which sent Bangladesh crumbling to a record-low Test score of 43 in the first innings.West Indies will go for a series win when the final Test bowls off at Sabina Park in Jamaica next Thursday.
The bodies of five-year old Jace Jones, a visitor to Jamaica, and Llewellyn Reid, a 65 year old raft captain were recovered from the Martha Brae River in the northern parish of Trelawny on Thursday afternoon. They both drowned on Tuesday during a rafting excursion.The police report that the search began on Tuesday afternoon, after Jace, who lived in the US state of Massachusetts, fell off the raft during the popular rafting-ride on the river.Jumped into river to safe child Reid, who was piloting the raft, reportedly jumped into the river and managed to rescue the child and placed him on his back.However, while attempting to swim back to the raft, Reid got into difficulties and along with child became submerged.Jace’s two older brothers, who were also on the raft, were later rescued when the vessel drifted to a section of the bank of the river. On Thursday, after hours of searching, a team of local divers found the bodies after they re-surfaced on the water. Were visiting relatives Jace and his brothers were visiting relatives on the island when they went to the popular attraction.Meanwhile, the operator of Rafter’s Village, Johnny Gourzong, described Reid as a very experienced rafter.“This raft captain (Reid) was one of the most experienced. He was a good swimmer ,” he told the Observer newspaper.
The Jamaica women footballers, preparing for their historical first- time participation in the FIFA Women World Tournament in France this summer, raised their stocks by defeating Chile 1-0, and 3-2 in two friendly international matches played at the National Stadium in Kingston Jamaica on Thursday, February 28 and the Montego Bay Sport Complex on Sunday, March 3, respectively.In the first match the Girlz turned in what was described as “a workman-like performance” to defeated Chile.In the second match Shaw did not miss, as she scored goals in the 23rd and 32nd minutes. Jody Brown secured victory with her goal in the 76th minute in a very keenly contested game with Maria Jose Rojas and Karen Araya scoring for the Chileans.Like they did in The first match in Kingston, the Chileans played very aggressively in the second half, and threatened to score often, but met with strong defense from the Jamaican women, captain Konya Plummer and Cachet Lue particularly solid.Brown who is just 16 year-old and hails from St Ann was introduced into the game in the 71st minute to a rousing welcome. She justified the cheers when she scored from a brilliant pass by Denesha Blackwood, sealing the exciting win for the Reggae Girlz.
Manchester United’s Belgian midfielder, Marouane Fellaini, has reportedly agreed personal terms with Galatasaray ahead of a potential move away from Old Trafford.Turkish news outlet, Ajansspor, reports that the 29-year-old midfielder is ready to leave United for Galatasaray, following the departure of Nigel de Jong from the Turkish side. Fellaini, who joined Manchester United from Everton in 2013 for £27.5m, have since been a subject of scrutiny among United faithfuls.The only thing standing in Fellaini’s way is for both clubs to agree on a transfer fee, reports suggest. More to come shortly…Related
Major supplier BetConstruct is adding to the week of bookmaking at the start of May by holding a special workshop for operators the day after the main Betting on Football Conference. Held on Friday 5th May, ‘BetConstruct The Door: Orientation Day’ will not only see the industry provider present its Spring Pro tools, but also allow participants to create their own websites in just two hours using BetConstruct’s CRM, CMS, Sportsbook management, bonus engine and loyalty system.The workshop rounds off a busy week in the capital, which starts at Stamford Bridge with the Totally Gaming Academy Football Odds Compilers Workshop (2 May) and moves straight into SBC Events’ flagship Betting on Football conference (3-5 May) at the same venue, featuring a comprehensive update on betting markets across the globe.The Banking Hall Cornhill will host the workshop from 16:00-23:00, mixing the practical website experience and a discussion about latest industry trends with dinner, drinks and music.The London date is one of 15 workshops taking place around the world in places such as Bogota and Macau. The event will provide gaming product managers, sports betting traders, C-level managers and trading consultants with a ‘hands-on’ experience in using BetConstruct’s technology.Vigen Badalyan, BetConstruct Executive Chairman, said: “Our colleagues and peers will have an opportunity to experience first-hand what makes BetConstruct partners successful and profitable. The workshop will give our guests something to compare their platforms to.” VBET agrees Armenian Premier League and Armenian Cup sponsorship August 13, 2020 Share Related Articles New Polish poker table in BetGames section for STS July 15, 2020 Submit Nuno Gomes joins BetConstruct and FeedConstruct as brand ambassador June 18, 2020 Share StumbleUpon