TORONTO – Crown prosecutors are seeking to revoke the bail of a Toronto police officer convicted of attempted murder in the fatal shooting of a teen on an empty streetcar four years ago.Const. James Forcillo was sentenced to six years in prison last year for his role in the shooting of Sammy Yatim, an incident that set off a wave of public outrage after video of what happened went viral.The officer is appealing his conviction and had been out on bail, living under house arrest.On Wednesday, Forcillo was arrested and charged with breaching the conditions of his bail for allegedly failing to live with his surety, failing to notify Ontario’s police watchdog of any changes of address and for leaving his home without his surety, except under special circumstances.The arrest came after Forcillo had applied, a week earlier, to change the conditions of his bail, requesting to add a new surety and to live at her home.That application was withdrawn after Forcillo was arrested and charged with failing to comply with recognizance his lawyer, Michael Lacy, said.On Friday, as Forcillo appeared in a north Toronto court for a hearing on that charge, the Crown said it had applied to the Court of Appeal to have the officer’s bail revoked.The outcome of that revocation application will determine whether it is necessary to have a bail hearing on Forcillo’s charge of failing to comply with recognizance, a prosecutor said.If the Court of Appeal revokes Forcillo’s bail, he will begin serving his six-year prison term.Lacy said he could not comment on the Crown’s revocation application.“We’re reviewing it and looking at all the developments and we’ll take a position at the appropriate time,” he said.Forcillo is scheduled to return to court on Nov. 30 and will remain in custody until then.Though Forcillo was found guilty of attempted murder in Yatim’s death, he was acquitted of the more serious charge of second-degree murder for shooting the 18-year-old Yatim multiple times.
TORONTO – A unilateral decision by Premier Doug Ford to slash the size of Toronto’s city council in half has dismayed at least one other big city mayor in Ontario.In an interview from Hamilton, Mayor Fred Eisenberger denounced Ford for announcing out of the blue his plan to legislate the change in the province’s largest city without any feedback from either local politicians or citizens just months before municipal elections take place.“I’m shocked and surprised that at this late hour, that such a dramatic change was proposed or was to be made, certainly without any public consultation, which is the most egregious part,” Eisenberger said in an interview on Friday.“Just to do this, without any of that, seems to me undemocratic and unhelpful in terms of providing the public at large an opportunity to have their say.”Like many other local governments in Ontario, including Toronto, Hamilton has been through amalgamation and ward changes, the mayor said. The city, after amalgamation in 2000, went from 78 councillors in six municipalities to 16 — including the mayor — in one. For the coming election, one ward has been scrapped and another created.All of this was done only after “extensive” public engagement, Eisenberger said.Under planned and approved ward changes, Toronto was to have had 47 councillors after October’s election, up from 44. The change would have left undisturbed the approximate ratio of one councillor to roughly 61,000 residents.Ford, who never mentioned the Toronto plan during last month’s provincial election, said on Friday that for Toronto to have nearly four dozen councillors is excessive and that he would legislate the number at 25 — almost doubling the ratio of councillor to resident to well over 100,000 — far higher than say the one-to-45,000 in Hamilton.The Progressive Conservative premier said it would make the city run more efficiently and save millions of taxpayer dollars.Toronto Mayor John Tory called Ford’s action an affront to democracy and said the change was being “rammed down our throats.”Eisenberger said cutting the number of Toronto councillors makes some practical sense in terms of governance.“Sixteen is difficult enough; working with 47 would be virtually impossible,” he said. “The way it’s been done, though, and not giving the people an opportunity to have their voice heard on that issue is undemocratic and unfortunate.”The Association of Municipalities of Ontario refused to comment on Ford’s planned course of action, saying it didn’t discuss issues related to individual local governments, and that Toronto has its own special relationship with the province.Eisenberger said he hoped Ford’s declaration didn’t mean the all-important working relationship between municipalities and the provincial government to which they are largely beholden was headed for difficult times.“I would hope it’s not a dictatorial approach but a collaborative one,” Eisenberger said. “Signs like these aren’t positive ones in terms of that direction.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppGrand Turk, TCI, September 9, 2016 – From Press Liaison Kevin Clarke: “Three male college students were involved in a one vehicle accident around 12pm today in Grand Turk. The driver reported that he lost control of the vehicle and it came to a stop after gitting a pole on Lighthouse Road. Two were taken to the hospital and the other refuse medical treatment stating that he is fine. The two are said to be in stable condition” Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:2 men taken to hospital after vehicle they were in overturned, 3 college students get in accident on Lighthouse Road, truck overturned in Grand Turk
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppSalt Cay, Turks and Caicos, March 5, 2018 – Salt Cay residents say their battered dock is being decimated by and onslaught of violent waves created by what is nicknamed, a ‘windmageddon’; the high winds are causing serious waves action across the Caribbean.#MagneticMedia was contacted by residents who say they need help, desperately and quickly and, on Facebook, have tagged government ministers and the Premier for help. “Salt Cay is under emergency conditions again. We have extremely limited communications, luckily the internet connection works at my house (the only spot on the island for whatever reason) so that we can get word out. Many people are gathered here to try to get in touch with Digicel to help with communications. Please contact Digicel and let them know we need communications restored to the island and upgraded to insure our safety.”We contacted Digicel, it s public relations officer, Romell Williams confirmed that they were already working on restoring services and by the time our six minute cell phone conversation was done, Williams said the problem was fixed for Salt Cay residents.Flow is currently looking into what is happening with its system on the tiny island. The telecommunications issues are but one challenge for islanders who are desperately seeking attention in the aftermath of two monster, historic hurricanes. Today, the issue are the huge swells, further corroding the coastline defenses and damaging weakened structures.“Debbie’s Cafe is falling into the harbor because the seawall is gone, the harbor is rapidly filling with sand. The #SaltCayHarbor is the island’s lifeline. We needed help after the hurricanes, now it is extremely critical. We expect the high seas to continue for at least the next 24 hours. Water is flowing over onto Victoria Street. I am unable to get photos out but would someone please alert the government that things have now reached critical levels for the Salt Cay Harbor.”Magnetic Media has reached out to the Member of Parliament or the district, who is also the Minister of Health and Human Services, Edwin Astwood. There had been no reply as yet up to news publication time. The #BahamasDepartmentofMeteorology today issued a three-day marine and public weather forecast for The #Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands which says:GENERAL SITUATION: A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD FROM THE NORTH TO ACROSS THE ISLANDS TODAY MEANWHILE HAZARDOUS BOATING AND BEACHING CONDITIONS WILL PERSIST AS EXTREMELY LARGE SWELLS GENERATED BY A DEEP LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IN THE ATLANTIC CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE ISLANDSSPECIAL WARNINGS: BOATERS ARE URGED TO REMAIN IN PORT AND BEACHGOERS ARE TO REMAIN OUT OF THE WATER DUE TO DANGEROUS SURF, STRONG RIP CURRENTS AND LARGE BREAKING WAVES AT NORTH AND EAST COAST SHORELINES MOTORIST SHOULD AVOID TRAVERSING THE GLASS WINDOW BRIDGE ON ELEUTHERA AND ALSO TO EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION WHILE TRAVELING ALONG NORTH AND EAST COAST ROADS PARTICULARLY IN THE EASTERN MOST ISLANDSFOR ALL AREASWEATHER: PARTLY CLOUDY AND LESS BREEZY WITH THE SLIGHT CHANCE OF A FEW BRIEF PASSING LIGHT SHOWERS TODAY PARTLY CLOUDY AND COOL TONIGHT.Residents of Salt Cay shared these photographs online. Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Six Senses Resort and Spa returns for another try at Salt Cay, Cabinet considers the concept Severe Weather alert for Bimini in The Bahamas, tornado and waterspouts possible Scary! Residents across Bahamas and Turks and Caicos report feeling Haiti earthquake tonight Related Items:#BahamasDepartmentofMeteorology, #SaltCay, #windmageddon
FacebookTwitter KUSI Sports, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Residents of Santee were being warned to be on the lookout for a female inmate, who escaped from a detention center in San Diego today, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said.A large perimeter has been set up by the department around the Las Colinas Detention and Reentry Facility, 451 Riverview Parkway, with nearby roads closed.Destiny Guns, 22, is 5’2″ and 100 pounds with green eyes and brown hair. She has a tattoo of an elephant skull on her right arm and of a grasshopper on her chest. At the time of her escape, Guns was wearing a whitetop and blue pants. Guns is a low level prisoner with a history of non-violence.Anyone with information should call the sheriff’s department at (858) 565-5200. Escaped inmate in Santee Categories: KUSI, Local San Diego News Posted: April 6, 2019 Updated: 10:34 PM April 6, 2019 KUSI Sports