TWO MEN APPEAR IN COURT AFTER DISGUSTING ATTACK AT AN GRIANAN FORT

first_imgWilliam Sweeney leaves the court. Pic copyright Donegal DailyA gang of 40 people went on an orgy of destruction and attacked one of Ireland’s most historic monuments.The drunken revellers pulled stones from An Grianan Fort in Burt, defecated in a holy well and then abused visiting tourists. Gardai found women’s underwear, human excrement and beer cans when they raided the site.Maymond McCormick leaves the court today. Pics copyright Donegal DailyThe incident happened over the weekend when a group of people landed at the site for a party.Two of the men who took part in the incident appeared at Letterkenny District Court today.William Sweeney, 19 and Raymond McCormick, 21, appeared in court charged with causing criminal damage to the fort on July 6th.Garda Eddie Doherty described a scene of carnage which met him when he went to investigate complaints of the party.He also revealed how tourists from America and China who were visiting the site were left stunned by the scene.“It was just a scene of carnage. The tourists who were visiting the area were traumatised by what they saw,” said Garda Doherty.Judge Paul Kelly said he was shocked by the “ignorant, loutish and thuggish’ behaviour.“This monument is one of the best preserved of its kind and I visited it myself some months ago.“I was particularly impressed by how well it has ben maintained and how it has stood the test of time.“It has stood the test of time by many invading armies over the years and then this group of thugs come along and invade it and start to dismantle it from the inside,” he said.Solicitor for McCormick of 8 Ballbane Pass, Creggan, Derry and Sweeney, 4 Oaklands Park, Creggan, Derry, said both men were very embarrassed by what had happened.Patsy Gallagher said they were only charged with criminal damage and were not involved in any defecating incident.They had pleaded guilty to throwing historic stones and empty cans of beer.He said both men had been in custody since and their experience within four walls at a Garda station had been a sobering experience on them.The court was told the Office of Public Works are currently examining the extent of the damage to the siteJudge Kelly remanded both men in custody until this Thursday at Buncrana Court and said he wanted to hear from the OPW how much monetary damage had been done to the area.TWO MEN APPEAR IN COURT AFTER DISGUSTING ATTACK AT AN GRIANAN FORT was last modified: July 8th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:An Grianan FortattackLetterkenny District CourtRaymond McCormickWilliam Sweeneylast_img read more