BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – A superb display of power-hitting by Barbados Pride all-rounder Roshon Primus almost took Wanderers Club to a remarkable victory over touring Ireland in a one-day warm-up match here Thursday.The strongly-built 24-year-old blasted seven huge sixes and seven fours in a scintillating 83 off 36 balls as the home team came up 45 runs short of their target of 339 at the Dayrell’s Road ground, just outside of the city.Primus, a member of the Barbados Tridents franchise which won the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) last year, entered with Wanderers on 165 for four in the 37th over and immediately went into over-drive in a superb solo effort.The right-hander raced to his half-century off 25 balls with five fours and four sixes, reaching the landmark with a thunderous cover-driven boundary off seamer Barry McCarthy.While he was at the crease Wanderers added 114 runs in 10 overs to threaten the target and put the Irish under severe pressure.Primus, who has represented Trinidad and Tobago in the past, but is now under contract to the Pride, finally perished in the 47th over, bowled missing a heave at pacer Craig Young.The run chase was set up by a century-opening stand between Test batsman Kraigg Brathwaite and Pride left-hander Shayne Moseley.The pair, who will open for Barbados next week in the Regional Four-day Championship, posted 109 but at a pedestrian rate of just four runs per over, leaving the asking rate close to nine runs per over.Brathwaite made 45 off 59 balls before he was stumped off off-spinner Simi Singh attempting a big hit while Moseley made a cultured 79 off 119 with 12 boundaries. He was bowled by seamer Boy Rankin, paving the way for Primus’s arrival.Earlier, Ireland made great use of the perfect batting conditions to reach 338 for five off their 50 overs, with three batsmen reaching half-centuries. Wicketkeeper Gary Wilson slammed 76 off 35 balls batting at number eight, with 60 of his runs coming in boundaries as the visitors managed 100 runs off the last 10 overs.The pair of Paul Stirling and James McCollom both made 64 in an opening stand of 133 in 20 overs before retiring to allow other batsmen the opportunity to bat.In the middle overs Ireland were stymied by off-spinner Jamar Trotman who was impressive with figures of five for 50 from his 10 overs.A club cricket journeyman and wholehearted performer, Trotman, was not introduced until the 27th over and was the sixth bowler used. He stemmed the flow of runs with immaculate control.Ireland used the match as part of their preparations for the upcoming three-match One-Day International series against West Indies, starting next Tuesday at Kensington Oval here.Wanderers is one of the most storied clubs on the island having produced several West Indies players including Test captain Jason Holder, Brathwaite, West Indies left-arm seamers Ian Bradshaw and Pedro Collins, along with Keith Boyce and brothers Denis and Eric Atkinson.
Facing No. 27 South Florida for the first time in 31 years, the No. 17 USC women’s tennis team took very little time in dismantling the visiting Bulls 6-1 on Thursday.Cream of the crop · Senior Maria Sanchez had another impressive performance Thursday afternoon against South Florida’s Irene Rehberger. – Murugappan Aroohachalam | Daily Trojan Senior Maria Sanchez’s 6-4, 6-0 victory against No. 24 Irene Rehberger told the story of the afternoon for the Women of Troy, as she put on a dominating display of tennis on a day that saw USC win five of its six singles matches, in addition to strong performances in doubles play.Despite a few unforced errors in the earlygoings of the match, Sanchez turned her play up a notch in the middle portion of the first set and never lost momentum, as evidenced by her sweep of the last eight games of the match.“I felt like I stepped it up at the end of the first set and I never eased up throughout the match,” said Sanchez, who came in as the nation’s number three singles player.Using her imposing forehand at will, Sanchez took the offensive whenever the opportunity arose and never let the veteran Rehberger, described by USC coach Richard Gallien as “cagey,” back in the match.In the second singles match, sophomore Danielle Lao had little trouble facing Ecaterina Vasenina, as she kept the Vasenina out of arms reach in the first set, before wrapping up the match with an impressive closing ability in the second and final set, winning 6-2, 6-1.A top-30 player herself, Lao has proved the perfect complement to Sanchez, who she defeated in the ITA Southwest Regional singles championship last year, and Thursday was no exception.USC’s sole loss came on the final match of the day, when South Florida’s Loreta Alonso outlasted junior Alli Ramos 7-6, 6-3 in two tightly-contested sets. Alonso’s powerful swings had Ramos on the defense, and despite her grit, she could not recover from the losing tiebreakers at the end of the first set and in the middle of the second.“Alli’s got the heart of a lion and [is] one of the most important people on our team in terms of characters and spunk and fight. She’ll win lots of matches [for us],” Gallien said.The three other singles matches all ended in a Women of Troy victory, most notably with sophomore Valeria Pulido shutting out USF’s Alessandra Bonte 6-0, 6-0 in the game’s quickest match.Senior Cristala Andrews had no problem disposing of Bulls’ Kate Parker in the sixth spot, while the number four match saw freshman Kaitlyn Christian dominate USF’s Janette Bejlkova 6-2, 6-0.With a visit from No. 22 Texas looming, the USC women’s tennis team knows it can’t afford anything less than an all-around dominating performance against the Bulls.“We’re in a good place. We have some talent, though we don’t have a long with just seven girls on scholarship there isn’t too much room for error, we are ready to compete,” Gallien said.
He’s probably not a candidate for an opener.However, Derek Holland (4.20 ERA), Johnny Cueto (8.00) and Jeff Samardzija (9.00) have all had trouble in the first inning, so they could be candidates to come out in the second inning rather than the first.Clearly though, Bumgarner is having none of that. M Bumgarner has always been a team player and respectful of Bochy. He also has a good sense of humor. It’s staggering to see the number of purported “spiders news sites” that jumped on Bochy’s line and wrote that Bumgarner literally would refuse to follow an opener into a game.— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) February 10, 2019Just to be clear, Bochy was laughing as he told story, Bumgarner has a good sense of humor, and Giants were never considering openers for their top starters. Plz don’t get mad online, people. https://t.co/shLdTms3oe— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) February 10, 2019Bumgarner went 6-7 with a 3.26 ERA for the Giants last season and held opponents to a .193 batting average in their first plate appearance. Madison Bumgarner is known for policing the game on the field and now he’s trying to control it before he even gets on it.After the Giants’ new president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi told reporters in December he could embrace an “opener” strategy, Bumgarner reportedly shot a quick, firm text to San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy. “If you use an opener in my game I’m walking right out of the ballpark,” the text read, according to NBC Sports Bay Area.Bochy said Bumgarner sent him a text after Zaidi said Giants might use openers. “If you use an opener in my game I’m walking right out of the ballpark.”— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) February 9, 2019It was later noted that Bochy was joking. Related News MLB hot stove: Yankees reportedly offer Manny Machado $220M deal
The Southern Basketball Conference (SBC) disciplinary committee has come down hard on Majesty Gardens for their spectators’ unruly beha-viour following game three of the Worldnet SBC best-of-three western division final against Upper Room Church at Majesty Gardens courts last Saturday.Opposing players and match officials were pelted with stones and other objects, one of which struck and injured an official.The SBC sanctions include barring the court from staging any SBC matches until 2017, forfeiting team and player awards and incentives, as well as their third-place play-off against Exed Heats. They also have to pay a $15,000 fine. In addition, no player will be eligible for transfer and the club cannot enter any JABA/SBC approved events until the fine is paid.Club secretary for Majesty Gardens, Chisena Campbell, says, although they take some blame, they are not totally at fault and that the sanctions are unfair to the players who had no role in inciting the incident or could have done very little to prevent what happened.”I am disappointed with all of it (sanctions),” Campbell told The Gleaner. “I can understand the part where the (playing) court is banned. But the sanctions on the players basically keeps them here and that is kind of hard.”I am not going to say that they are the most disciplined (players), but they have worked very hard to come this far. So even though it’s not their fault, the way the sanctions are placed, it makes it seems as if it is all their fault and it wasn’t.”softening sanctionsCampbell said they would lobby for a softening of the sanctions.”This team has tried really hard to get a little credit and I think they just took back everything with all these sanctions.”Sports is the main thing in the community, the guys were doing well … but this (incident) has put a damper on all of that and we have to start all over again,” she said.According to the SBC, they will be working to improve relations and community development and have also mandated the club to host at least two community sensitisation sessions. The Gleaner was unable to get to SBC president Calvin Martin, who is off the island with the Special Olympics team.